In 1948, at the annual membership meeting of the Desoto Parish Chamber of Commerce, Mr. W.C. Nabors challenged the people of Desoto Parish to build a community-owned and operated hospital with contributed funds. He and Mrs. Nabors offered to match equally all contributions that might be made by others.
Acting upon the challenge, in early 1949, a committee of seven citizens was formed to develop a plan. The committee was composed of L.E. "Jack” Colvin, Hall Burgess, Jr., Marshall Calhoun, E.A. Lafitte, Sr., Green Rives, Jr., O.H.P. Sample, and H.H. Samuels, Sr. These citizens went on to become the charter members of the DeSoto Hospital Association. The Association was chartered by the State of Louisiana on November 28, 1949.
The Association immediately organized a fund-raising campaign headed by Reimer Calhoun, Sr. The response from the public was overwhelming and resulted in cash contributions and pledges which when matched by Mr. and Mrs. Nabors allowed for the first phases of building a hospital to be financed.
Membership in the Association quickly increased to include a widely representative group of DeSoto Parish citizens. A building committee was appointed, an architect employed, and property on Jefferson Street acquired. In 1952, DeSoto General Hospital was completed and opened to the public.
The management of the Association has always been in the hands of its Board of Directors, elected by its membership at annual meetings. People from all over the hospital's service area and of varied interests and occupations have served on the Association and the Board. No Board member and no officer of the Association has ever received remuneration for their services.
In 1996, the name of the hospital was changed to DeSoto Regional Health System to better reflect the evolving mission to the community. At the same time, "A Better Life….. A Better Way” was adopted as the motto of the hospital.
Today, DeSoto Regional Health System is a not-for-profit, 34-bed, acute care facility with a qualified, professional staff and state-of-the-art equipment and services. The health system now includes three rural primary care clinics, DeSoto Regional Family Medicine Mansfield, Zwolle Rural Clinic, and DeSoto Regional Family Medicine Logansport, an Industrial Medicine Clinic, and a therapy services clinic / fitness center, DeSoto Regional Wellness Center.
DeSoto Regional Health System is licensed by the State of Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals and is certified by the United States Department of Health and Human Services for participation in Medicare.